Weather 11-12-19

270

Weather satellite this morning clearly depicts a fetch of Pacific moisture plowing into the Northwestern U.S. coast. Latest weather models are in quite good agreement and consistent in directing this moisture feed into Northcentral Washington as a short wave disturbance moves through the area today. This will not be a big precipitation event with generally a few hundredths of an inch expected in the Columbia Basin and Wenatchee Valley perhaps a tenth of an inch or so over the rising terrain of the eastern basin. The air mass leading into this event is very dry as a result of the continental Canadian push into the area yesterday. As the air mass moistens with this incoming fetch of precipitation, expect wet bulb cooling to allow initial precipitation to fall as light non-accumulating snow this morning over much of the northern basin and valleys with the farther north valleys possibly remaining as light snow well into the afternoon while the basin stations turn to rain by noon. The higher passes around the area will probably receive 1 to 3 inches of wet slushy accumulation with the highest amounts in the north Cascades.

Wenatchee Valley forecast today calling for mostly sunny skies by afternoon with afternoon high temperatures in the upper 40’s.

Patchy fog to start our Wednesday with mostly sunny skies expected by afternoon with high temperatures once again in the upper 40’s. A

n upper level ridge of high pressure remains in place Thursday bringing dry weather with areas of fog and stratus likely due to a moist boundary layer in place and light winds, high temps in the upper 40’s. Weather models continue to show an upper level trough of low pressure passing through the region on Friday. This is not a strong system with only a 20% chance of isolated showers with warmer highs into the lower 50’s.

A pair of additional weather systems are possible late Saturday into Sunday and again on Monday. Mostly cloudy skies are expected all three days with a 30% chance of rain Saturday, a 40% chance on Sunday and a 30% chance of light showers on Monday. Afternoon high temperatures will be well above normal this weekend as well with low 50’s expected Saturday, lower to mid-50’s on Sunday and lower 50’s again on Monday.