Toxic blue-green algea prompts Moses Lake health warning

5140
blue green algea

MOSES LAKE, WA.-The Grant County Health District (GCHD) has issued a public safety alert for toxic Blue-Green algea at Moses Lake. Officials say its likely that all parts of Moses Lake are contaminated and not safe for swimming. The health district says it will continue testing the lake weekly until sample results show toxins are below the Washington State recreational guidelines. GCHD has posted warning signs around Moses Lake that will be up until the Lake is clear of the toxic algae. Pets and livestock are also at risk of illness or even death if the water is consumed.

GCHD is advising:

• Avoid all contact with Moses Lake water areas. Including recreational water activities (skiing, wakeboarding, etc.)
• Do not drink the lake water
• Keep all pets & livestock away from the lake water
• Clean fish caught in Moses Lake well and discard their guts

Health & Safety Information:

The type of blue-green algae that is present in Moses Lake produce Microcystin toxin, which can cause serious illness in people, pets, and livestock.

• Symptoms may take 30 minutes to 24 hours to appear, depending upon the size of the person or animal affected and the amount of toxic bloom consumed. Microcystin toxicosis may include jaundice, shock, abdominal pain/distention, weakness, nausea/vomiting, severe thirst, rapid/weak pulse and death.