About 300 acres of grassland and sage brush burned and a storage building was destroyed on Monday in a fire about ten miles southeast of Soap Lake. Grant County Fire District Chief Kirk Shepperd said the fire was ignited by sparks from a grinder being used on galvanized pipe.
The fire started about 11:30 a.m. at Eastside Drive and Road D.7. Crews from four different departments had control over the fire by 2:00 in the afternoon. Shepperd said the storage building belonged to the man who had been using the grinder.