NCWLIFE Evening News May 22nd, 2020

1713
video

Good evening and welcome to the NCWLIFE Evening News. I’m Grant Olson. Before we get to today’s top news stories, let’s take a quick look outside our weather window:

And now, a few of the stories we’re following for you tonight, Two Chelan County jail inmates allegedly attacked and beat a third inmate on May 6th in an assault captured by jail security cameras. Grant County, which reported Eastern Washington’s first COVID-19 case on March 4th and its first death on March 7th, is now eligible to move to Phase 2 of Governor Jay Inslee’s reopening plan, and, Chelan and Douglas are however nowhere near meeting the new guidelines for an early move to Phase 2 of Gov. Jay Inslee’s COVID-19 reopening plan.     

But first, we begin tonight. . .

A Tacoma women faces multiple charges after a rollover accident on Highway 2 sent a passenger in her car to the hospital.

The Washington State Patrol reports that shortly before 5:30 yesterday afternoon a 2001 Volvo Sedan being driven by 37-year-old Tammy Fisher was heading westbound on Highway 2 near the Jameson Lake Road intersection when it crossed the highway and rolled over, coming to rest in a ditch. The passenger, 40 year-old Nicholas Rochon of Seattle, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the car and airlifted to Central Washington Hospital with unknown injuries. Fisher was transported to Columbia Basin Hospital in Ephrata.  Fisher faces charges of DUI and vehicular assault.

Two Chelan County jail inmates allegedly assaulted a third, leaving him with a facial fracture. Police say Joshua James Cornwell and Rafael Lima, both of Wenatchee, attacked and beat a third inmate on May 6th in an assault captured by jail security cameras. Lima, who’s jailed on alleged drug and weapons offenses, reportedly held the victim in a chokehold while Cornwell, who’s charged with drug possession, struck him in the head repeatedly. Police said none of the three men agreed to speak to detectives investigating the incident.

Grant County, which reported Eastern Washington’s first COVID-19 case on March 4th and its first death on March 7th, is now eligible to move to Phase 2 of Governor Jay Inslee’s reopening plan.

Inslee added Grant, Cowlitz and Pacific counties to the eligible list Thursday evening, meaning 25 of the state’s 39 counties can now either apply for or have already been approved to move to Phase 2. Under Phase 2 numerous businesses are allowed to reopen, though some on a limited basis.

Grant County led Eastern Washington in cases for much of March, with Quincy especially hard hit. As of Thursday, Grant County had 197 confirmed cases of the virus and four deaths. Quincy has reported 73 of those positive tests.

Chelan and Douglas are nowhere near meeting the new guidelines for an early move to Phase 2 of Gov. Jay Inslee’s COVID-19 reopening plan.

Inslee on Tuesday said counties with no more than 10 new cases per 100,000 residents in the past 14 days could apply for a variance to move to Phase 2, which allows a wide range of businesses to reopen.

But numbers released Wednesday by the Chelan-Douglas Health District showed Chelan County with 81 cases per 100,000 people in the 14 days leading up to May 18. Douglas County had 108 cases per 100,000 over the same period. But meeting that standard may not be necessary, as Grant County also did not meet those standards but still was added to the list Thursday evening of counties that can apply to move to Phase 2.

Most counties are expected to move to Phase 2 on June 1 under a previously announced timeline but it is uncertain of all the remaining 14 ineligible counties will.

Coming up next, The Washington State Department of Transportation says Highway 97A will remain closed at least partially between Entiat and Chelan until June 15th as work continues on removing loose and unstable rocks on the hillsides above the highway. The Washington State Patrol will be out in force Memorial Day weekend with emphasis patrols to identify speeders, drunk drivers and other law-breakers, and, The company that owns two stores in the Wenatchee Valley Mall, Victoria’s Secret and Bath and Body Works, announced Thursday that it will be permanently closing many of its stores in the coming weeks. I’m Grant Olson and you’re watching the NCWLIFE Evening News.

Welcome back, and in other news. . .

The Washington State Department of Transportation says Highway 97A will remain closed at least partially between Entiat and Chelan until June 15th as work continues on removing loose and unstable rocks on the hillsides above the highway.

A contractor began work Wednesday on the $660,000 dollar project at three different locations, including Knapps Hill Tunnel, which has been under an emergency closure since May 13th. WASH-DOT says rockfall on the highway near the tunnel had increased in intensity and frequency, prompting the closure ahead of the scheduled work. If that closure is lifted, there still will be closures from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the work.

The Washington State Patrol will be out in force Memorial Day weekend with emphasis patrols to identify speeders, drunk drivers and other law-breakers. Trooper John Bryant explains what they’ll be doing. . .

The company that owns two stores in the Wenatchee Valley Mall, Victoria’s Secret and Bath and Body Works, announced Thursday that it will be permanently closing many of its stores in the coming weeks.

L Brands said it will close 250 Victoria’s Secret stores and 50 Bath and Body Works in the United States and Canada. A spokesperson for the company said Friday they could not comment yet on whether the East Wenatchee stores are on the list for closure.

You’re watching the NCWLIFE Evening News. Coming up next, tonight’s feature story and your complete local weather forecast. That and much more still to come on the NCWLIFE Evening News, stay with us.

Welcome back to the NCWLIFE Evening News. . .

It started with the CARES Act. Now the congressional response to coronavirus continues with the HEROES Act, a $3 trillion piece of legislation that passed from the House of Representatives last week. In tonight’s feature story, Eighth District Congresswoman Kim Schrier supported the bill, and she talked with NCWLIFE’s Jefferson Robbins about how the HEROES ACT will work. . .

And that is a look at your local weather forecast, coming up next, tonight’s sports report with Eric Granstrom and more as the NCWLIFE Evening News continues right after this.

The University of Washington softball team was 23-and-2 and ranked second in the nation when COVID-19 cancelled their season this spring.  Four seniors were facing a future full of uncertainty as to whether they’d played their last game.

The NCAA voted in March that Division One schools could allow for an extra year of eligibility for all spring-sport athletes.  But it would be up to the colleges to determine how to pay for it.

The University of Washington and Washington State University have agreed to foot the bill to offer scholarships and financial aid to spring seniors who want to come back.

According to UW Athletic Director Jen Cohen, 30 Husky athletes are expected to come back at a cost of a million dollars.  WSU AD Paul Chun said 17 Cougars will opt to return at a cost of about 300-thousand to the university.

Both athletic directors agreed it was the right thing to do.  Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez told his seniors to move on with their lives.  The Badgers are not allowing its seniors a chance to return.

It’s possible that a new term has been added to “redshirt freshman”, or “5th-year senior.”  It will be the “COVID caveat.”

Seahawks safety Quandre Diggs is patiently waiting out the pandemic to begin his first full-year with Seattle.  The 6th year pro was traded to the Seahawks mid-season in 2019 from Detroit.  He says he has no idea how long this will last, but when it’s time to play, he’ll be ready…

The NFL has yet to set a timeline for teams on when workouts and practices can begin.  As far as Diggs is concerned, he’d rather skip the preseason and get right to the regular season games…

The Seahawks are scheduled for training camp to begin in July and the first preseason game is the second week of August.  All that’s on hold until COVID numbers improve.  In the meantime, Diggs says he’s loving being at home with his family…

The NBA continues to make progress on planning for a return to play…

Quotes coming out from players and front-office personnel seem to be leaning in the direction that there will definitely be basketball soon.  We’re currently in the time frame offered by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver of a plan being put together.

The most-likely scenario will have all 30-teams take up residence at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.  The huge campus has plenty of accommodations for players and team personnel.  There are also multiple courts on which to play.

By the sounds of it, teams could begin training camps in the next few weeks.  Milwaukee Bucks owner Marc Lasry, speaking Thursday on CNBC, said the NBA’s board of governors will meet again next week and that he believes “within the next six to eight weeks we should be playing.”

The baseball players’ association gave management a wide-ranging response Thursday to a 67-page proposed set of protocols for a season to be played during the coronavirus pandemic…

The union said Thursday it addressed: protections for high-risk players, access to pre- and postgame therapies, testing frequency, protocols for positive tests, in-stadium medical personnel and sanitation procedures.

Players viewed many of the concepts in the original draft as over-the-top, such as arriving in uniform at the ballparks, a prohibition on them leaving without team permission and a ban on guests other than immediate family members.

MLB is expected to make an economic proposal to the union within a few days.  The hope is to start the season by early July.

Here’s a reminder of what’s coming up this weekend on the sports schedule here on the NCWLIFE Channel…

It begins tonight with AppleSox baseball from a game last August against the Yakima Valley Pippins.  Tune in for all the action at 6:30 tonight.

We’ll have wrestling and football on the docket tomorrow as Eastmont hosts West Valley.  Eric Granstrom will have the call of grapplers on the mat from January of 2017 tomorrow at 2 o’clock.  Then Eric joins Grant Olson for Big-9 football between the ‘Cats and Rams tomorrow night at 6:30.

Sunday is a double-dip of Wenatchee Wild hockey against the Merritt Centennials.  The first game from November 1st is at 2 o’clock.  The 7 o’clock game is from the following day at the Town Toyota Center last fall.

Thanks Eric.

Now let’s check in with Dan Kuntz for a look at what’s coming up Monday morning on Wake Up Wenatchee Valley, Dan. . .

And that’s going to do it for our newscast tonight. For more on these stories and other news from around North Central Washington, you can find us on Facebook or our website at ncwlife.com. And, remember, if you see news happening we’d like to hear from you.  You can send us an email at news@ncwlife.com, or give us a call 888-NCWL (6295). I’m Grant Olson, thanks for joining us and have a great weekend.