Chelan County Fire District 4 Chief Jim Oatey reports in a news release, At 11:30 Thursday morning Orondo Fire was dispatched to the report of a car fire on US97 10 miles north of Orondo. On arrival a fully engulfed motorhome was found burning along the roadway.
Orondo Firefighters used foam enhanced water to extinguish the fire. Firefighting activities took over an hour due to the fuel load of a motorhome with most components being burnable. A propane tank located in the floor compartments was venting sporadically shooting a large ball of flames out of the base of the motorhome on the passenger side creating a danger for the firefighters.
Once the fire was knocked down firefighters went through the wreckage digging out hotspots and applying more water. A total of 3,800 gallons of water was consumed suppled by two engines and one water tender. Eight firefighters responded to the call and put the fire out wearing self-contained breathing apparatus necessity to protect their lungs from the toxins released from the synthetic and plastic materials burning in the vehicle.
The motorhome owner related they were driving at highway speed when flames erupted out the engine compartment located in the back cabin of the motorhome. Their brakes then failed forcing them to roll to a stop. They were able to unhitch a pickup being towed by the motorhome and move it clear of the fire undamaged. Firefighters were able to save a large number of personnel affects stored in compartments under the floor of the vehicle.