Moses Lake appears to have an algae problem again


The Grant County Health District has issued a warning about a possible toxic algae bloom in Moses Lake.

Testing of the water is planned for Monday but in the meantime the district is advising people to be cautious around the water and keep their pets out.

Contact with an algae bloom can be fatal for pets and can cause anything from a rash to severe nausea and vomiting in humans.

The health district said Thursday that reports of the blue-green blooms have been coming in for the past two days and based on previous years, it’s likely toxins are present.

The health district declared the lake unsafe last July after testing near Connelly Park showed toxin levels four times higher than Washington state recreational guidelines.