Investigators name slain suspect, police in fatal Wenatchee shooting

The sanctuary door of Living Hope Community Church, 11 N. Chelan Ave. in Wenatchee, two days after a gunman fired several shots into the entryway and police fatally shot him May 7, 2022.

WENATCHEE — Investigators probing the May 7 gunfire incident in which a man was shot to death by police have identified the slain man and the officers involved.

The North Central Washington Special Investigation Unit named 36-year-old Alexander James White of East Wenatchee as the man who fired several shots from a handgun into Living Hope Community Church on North Chelan Avenue, shortly before 8:30 a.m. Three Wenatchee police officers who quickly arrived on the scene fired their own weapons, killing White.

The officers are Corey Fuller, 35, Brian Hewitt, and Alyssa “Aly” Mustain, 30. Hewitt received a leg injury, although investigators have not said how that injury occurred. He was treated and released from Central Washington Hospital the same day. In a video of the incident, White did not appear to fire his own pistol at police before he was fatally shot.

No motive for the initial gunfire on the church has been disclosed, and Living Hope Pastor Jeremy Peyton said Tuesday White was not a parishioner there.

White has no prior criminal history in Washington, according to a review of state court records. He had been registered to vote at an East Wenatchee address since 2006. A resident at that address declined to speak with an NCWLIFE reporter on Tuesday.

Of the police who discharged their firearms, Fuller has served the longest with the Wenatchee Police Department, with more than four years on the force and 13 years’ total experience in law enforcement. Hewitt joined WPD in 2021, Mustain in 2020, both after transferring from the Seattle Police Department.

All three police officers remain on administrative leave while the multi-agency Special Investigation Unit reviews the case. The team will refer its findings to the Chelan County Prosecuting Attorney for a ruling on whether the police use of deadly force was justified. That process is expected to take weeks, said Douglas County Undersheriff Tyler Caille, spokesperson for the SIU.