Fire starts in Wenatchee kitchen after oven is accidentally turned on

2493

An accidental bump as a Wenatchee resident was leaving their home Thursday afternoon turned on the kitchen stove which then ignited a nearby basket of combustible materials at the home in the 1600 block of Springwater Avenue.

Chelan County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Kay McKellar said the materials in the basket set fire to the kitchen cabinets but firefighters were able to contain the fire to the kitchen.

There were no people in the two-story home at the time but firefighters found a cat, hamster and turtle.

The hamster was at first unresponsive but once outside revived quickly, McKellar said. The turtle and cat were unharmed.

She said the occupants of the home had renter’s insurance, which the fire district would like to stress can be a valuable low-cost investment..