Fire burns cars at towing business in downtown Wenatchee

2931

Three vehicles about to be hauled off to a wrecking yard Friday morning somehow caught fire at Dick’s Towing at Thurston and Chelan avenues in Wenatchee.

Chelan County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Kay McKellar said the cars were stacked up and about to be loaded onto a transporter when one apparently leaked gasoline, which then ignited.

Flames shot dozens of feet high at some points and later a big plume of smoke drifted into the blue sky.

Nearby streets were shut down for a short time.

McKellar said workers at Dick’s used a fork lift to separate the vehicles, aiding firefighters in extinguishing the fire.

Nobody was injured in the fire and firefighters were able to stop the flames from spreading to nearby structures.