Evening News November 28

1224

Good evening and welcome to NCWLIFE News. I’m Grant Olson. Before we get to today’s top stories, let’s take a quick look outside our weather window:

And now, a few of the stories we’re following for you tonight— unemployment numbers continue to drop throughout the region, Wenatchee Valley College seeks input on a new Wildland Fire Program in Omak and we’ll have an update on the moose poached near Lake Wenatchee. But first, we begin tonight:

 

In a lawsuit filed against Auvil Fruit Company on November 22nd, the State Attorney General’s Office is seeking reimbursement for the August 4th, 2016 wildfire near Orondo that burned 156 acres of Department of Natural resources land. The lawsuit attributes the start of the fire to two workers who were welding in a cherry orchard owned by Auvil.

The suit alleges the workers did not follow Auvil Fruit’s established practices for preventing fire during welding, including wetting down the work area, keeping a small hose or bucket of sand nearby, and posting a lookout for 30 minutes after welding ceases. The fire began on the east side of highway 97, about 13 miles north of Orondo. The lawsuit does not specify a dollar amount and Auvil Fruit Co. has not yet responded.

 

For the second straight month, unemployment numbers in Chelan and Douglas Counties has fallen. The latest data shows that the unemployment rate in the dual county area dropped substantially from 5-percent in October of 2016 to 3.8-percent last month. In Wenatchee, the non-farm labor market provided 13-hundred new jobs between 2015 and 2016. The Wenatchee civilian labor force also grew from 62,375 residents in 2015 to 64,578 in 2016, a 3.5-percent increase. The Wenatchee private education and health services industry has added jobs for the past 49 months while hospitality employment has virtually remained the same between October 2016 and 2017. One of the reasons for those numbers is that more residents entered the workforce while the number of unemployed dropped substantially. The current unemployment rate for Chelan and Douglas counties is the lowest reading for the month of October since electronic records were implemented back in 1990.

Wentchee Valley College is looking to the public for input on a new program to be offered at its Omak campus. The Wildland Fire Program was identified as a need after the historic 2014-2015 fire season and would include professional wildland training, community education seminars and college-level wildland fire courses. A public forum is slated for this Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon in the Hazel Allen Burnett Hall, with light refreshments available. The college asks that you RSVP by contacting the instructor Marshall Brown at 509-422-7806.

Coming up, we visit with Chelan County Commissioners, an update on a poached moose near Lake Wenatchee and a special member of the Wenatchee Police Department retires. I’m Grant Olson and you’re watching NCWLIFE News.

The process of finalizing the 2018 budget continues for Chelan County Commissioners.  Once again the challenge this year is how to balance declining revenues without forcing layoffs on County employees.  Commissioner Keith Goehner explains some department heads have had to get creative when it comes to staffing…

 

Commissioner Dale England added that the cost of government continues to rise, just like the private sector…

 

The commissioners hope to adopt next year’s budget by mid-December.

An update tonight on a story we recently reported about a moose that was poached near Lake Wenatchee earlier this fall. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officials say since the story was released both in the news media and on social media, they are currently following up on several leads obtained by hunters and citizens that were in the area around the time of the poaching.

 

The moose carcass was found only 50 yards off a logging road in the Meadow Creek area near Lake Wenatchee. Only the head and a small bit of meat were taken from the moose.

The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office retired one of its own today. Axel, an 8-year old K9 with the Sheriff’s office worked his last shift this past weekend. He has worked with law enforcement since 2012 and had the most captures of any currently deployed K9. Axel will continue to live with his handler, Deputy Mike Lamon where the Sheriff’s Department says he will kick back with his other 4-legged siblings, enjoying belly rubs and lots and lots of treats.

You’re watching NCWLIFE news. Coming up next, your sports update followed by today’s feature story. That and much more still to come on NCWLIFE News, stay with us.

 

On the Prep Sports Calendar for today, the high school winter sports season gets underway…

 

Boys Basketball
Pateros & Manson at Chelan Jamboree, 6pm
Cascade at Quincy, 7:15pm
Cashmere at Eastmont, 7:30pm

 

Girls Basketball
Cascade at Quincy, 5:45pm
Pateros & Manson at Chelan Jamboree, 6pm
Cashmere at Ellensburg, 7pm
Eastmont at Southridge, 7:15pm

 

Wrestling
Wenatchee and Cashmere at the Moses Lake Jamboree, 5pm

Girls Bowling
Davis at Eastmont, 2pm
Ellensburg at Wenatchee, 2pm

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll met with the media Monday after Seattle’s 24-13 win over San Francisco Sunday.  He said he was happy with the defense throughout and wished the offense showed up earlier…

 

Earlier in the day on 710 ESPN Radio in Seattle, Carroll made headlines by saying Kam Chancellor would be out for the season with a neck injury…

 

In the same radio interview, Carroll added that Cliff Avril would be undergoing surgery today and miss the rest of the season.  He asked for privacy for the two players as they deal with these injuries…

 

Carroll hinted that running back Chris Carson’s recovery is coming along nicely and could be back before the end of the season. 

 

Seattle is preparing to host Philadelphia on Sunday Night Football this weekend.

 

Thanks Eric…

Coming back to the Wenatchee Valley is the 8th Annual Journey to Bethlehem, giving locals the interactive experience of the town of Bethlehem, hosted by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. The journey includes over 150 actors and supporting cast. Director Glenn Fisher stopped by Wake Up Wenatchee Valley to talk about the interactive journey…

 

Journey to Bethlehem starts Thursday and runs until Sunday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30p.m. For more information visit j-2-b-wenatchee.com.

We’ll be back in just a moment with a recap of some of today’s stories and your complete local weather forecast right after this.

 

Time now for a recap of some of our top stories…

And now, your weather forecast for North Central Washington.

A fairly quick moving weather system will move through the area today with snow in the mountains and a rain snow mix in many valleys, including the Wenatchee Valley where we have an 80% chance of rain today dropping down to a 20% chance of scattered evening showers. Snow will be heavy at times on the Cascade Crest and northern mountains with a winter weather advisory in place until 11:00 p.m. The advisory area includes Blewett Pass where upwards of 3 inches of snow could fall reducing visibility and making travel difficult. Expect dry but foggy weather Wednesday and Thursday with a return to active and cooler weather Thursday through Saturday as another large area of low pressure moves into the Pacific Northwest. It looks drier on Sunday into early next week. Afternoon high temperatures will remain near our normal of 40 degrees through the forecast period.

We leave you tonight with video

 

If you have a video of the day, you’d like to see on NCWLIFE News, message us on our Facebook Page at the NCWLIFE Channel.

And that’s going to do it for our newscast tonight. For more on these stories and other news from around North Central Washington, you can find us on Facebook or our website at ncwlife.com.  And, remember, if you see news happening we’d like to hear from you.  You can send us an email at news@ncwlife.com, or give us a call 888-NCWL (6295). Also, tune in to NCWLife Channel tomorrow morning for Wake Up Wenatchee Valley with host Dan Kuntz and news with Steve Hair. I’m Grant Olson, thanks for joining us and have a great night.