Free WiFi hotspots are now available in five different cities in Chelan County.
The Chelan County PUD and LocalTel launched the hotspots this week in Wenatchee, Cashmere, Leavenworth, Entiat and Manson.
The PUD is giving free bandwith to Internet providers, who are setting up about 50 sites for students and others to access WiFi service.
Community organizations helped pick the locations for the hotspots, with a focus on locations close to fiber equipment and with room for parking and social distancing.
Here are the first hotspots:
- 4593 Squilchuck Road, Wenatchee (Beehive Grange)
- 420 Methow Street, Wenatchee (Kiwanis Methow Park)
- 5700 Wescott Drive, Cashmere (Fairgrounds, Chelan County Expo Center)
- 201 Riverside Drive, Cashmere (Riverside Center)
- 694 Highway 2, Leavenworth (Community pool)
- 2331 Albin Drive, Entiat
- 157 E Wapato Way, Manson (Grange Hall)
- 345 Madeline Road, Manson
The PUD said theWi-Fi hotspots should offer a service radius of 200-300 feet.
“The goal is to extend broadband access to students and community members without internet at home as classes move online, people need to file applications or are depending on websites and social media for vital information during the COVID-19 epidemic,” the PUD said in a press release.