Drug task force raids home near Wenatchee High School with walk-up drug window


Police swooped in on a house Thursday afternoon near Wenatchee High School that police say had a walk-up window for students to purchase illegal drugs.

Both Wenatchee High School and Pioneer Middle schools were put on “modified lockdown” about 2 p.m. while a search warrant was served on the home in the 900 block of Howard Street by the Columbia River Drug Task Force.

Capt. Edgar Reinfeld of the Wenatchee Police Department said there was no danger to the students or citizens nearby during the 25-minute “shelter in place.”

He said several residents and other people at the house were detained and a 17-year-old boy arrested on drug charges, including unlawful possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. No names were released.

Searchers found dozens of THC vape cartridges lined up inside the sales window, as well as cocaine, marijuana, dabs, and pills, Reinfeld said.

It is the second case of drugs being sold at a home with a walk-up window near the high school in the past three years, he said.

The residence had long been suspected to be a drug house catering to students but since the beginning of the year, new witnesses came forward, including a WHS student who said marijuana and cocaine were being sold from the window, Reinfeld said.

The drug task force began conducting surveillance on the home and documented multiple high school students coming and going from the window during the school day.

The search warrant was served when the suspected dealer would be in the home but a minimal number of students in the area, Reinfeld said.

Conviction for selling drugs that close to a school can lead to a more severe sentence.

In November, 2016, the drug task force served a search warrant on a home in the 1000 block of Kittitas Street after reports of someone dealing drugs to students out of a bedroom window.

Three people were arrested, including a 17-year-old boy was charged with delivery of a controlled substance.

Evidence in the case included a video advertisement posted by the suspect on Snapchat.

An informant purchased drugs through the window from a 15-year-old boy, who during the raid was found unresponsive due to marijuana and alcohol intoxication. He recovered quickly.