Family loses home and most of their possessions in fire in East Wenatchee

2434

Outdoor barbecue apparently was the cause

A family of six was displaced and lost almost all their personal possessions in house fire in East Wenatchee Thursday evening.

Douglas County Fire District 2 Chief Dave Baker said the fire seems to have started from an outdoor barbecue.

“The homeowners had been barbecuing that evening about a half an hour to 45 minutes before they saw the fire out there,” Baker said. “We don’t really know if they had a grease fire in the barbecue or they forgot to shut the barbecue off but it’s my impression that it was unintentional.”

The fire was reported about 5:15 p.m. at a duplex at 1332 Clements Circle. By the time fire crews arrived the home was heavily damaged.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the displaced family.

“Not only did they lose their home last night, they have lost all of its content,  their personal mementos, clothing, and necessities of daily living. They also lost all of their families Christmas gifts they just purchased on Black Friday…It’s all gone,” said Tiffany Kay Frodsham, who set up the page.

By early Friday afternoon, $1,200 of the $10,000 goal of the page had been raised. An hour and a half later, the amount raised had grown to $3,200.